The Method Statement for Sump Pump defines the specified materials are installed and the agreed procedure is implemented as per quality, project specifications, and health, safety & environment requirements.
This method statement covers the installation procedures for the following type of GRUNDFOS Storm Water Submersible Pumps: SLV Model
Here GRUNDFOS Submersible Pump brand will be used otherwise feel free to substitute it with whatever brand that meets the project specifications for approval.
- Local Authority Regulations
- Grundfos Installation & Operating Instructions for the respective pumps and controls.
- IFC drawings
- Approved material submittal for the submersible sump pump
QC – Quality Control
HSE – Health, Safety, and Environment
ITP – Inspection & Test Plan
MS – Method Statement
PPE – Personal Protective Equipment
MSDS – Material Safety Data Sheet
RA – Risk Assessment
QCP – Quality Control Procedure
INR – Inspection Request
QA/QC – Quality Assurance/ Quality Control
Responsible to manage, execute, complete, and handover the construction activities within approved budgets and resources in compliance with requirements as specified in project specifications.
He will be overall in charge of implementing the Method Statement in accordance with QA/QC and HSE requirements.
Responsible for overall construction activities ensuring that all quality and safety procedures are implemented.
Ensure that the required approved permits are obtained.
Managing construction activities and leading the site supervision, subcontractors, and vendors to assist them in working to the project schedule by conforming QA/QC and HSE requirements at the site.
Generally plans, coordinates, and implements issues and directives within the organization.
Ensures safe environmental working conditions for all employees.
Monitors the site engineer’s strict implementation of the Method Statement for Sump Pump Installation and Risk Assessment.
Implements the use of proper tools and equipment to maintain safety, certifications of equipment and adherence to safety regulations.
Reports any unsafe work or stopping work that does not comply with HSE procedures.
Establishes the proper implementation of the quality system.
Responsible for supporting the project team in implementing and maintaining Quality Management System for the project through PQP, ITP, MST, and procedures in compliance with project specifications, codes, and standards.
Responsible for the conduct of inspections as per approved ITP.
Supervises the operations in accordance with the approved Method Statement for Sump Pump Installation, shop drawings, specifications, material submittals, and schedules to achieve the acceptance of the project deliverables.
Supervise closely, the activities designated to them and ensure that all instructions and safety procedures are followed.
Liaises with the Site Engineer and Supervisor for the work execution.
Responsible for assisting their superiors during all construction work-related activities.
Work in line with the HSE and QA/QC requirements.
Receives and inspects all incoming materials and reconciles all related documents.
Processes and distributes documents and tracks damage and discrepancies.
Testing instrument Required
• Clamp-on Ammeter
• Megger, 500V DC
• Digital Multimeter
QA/ QC Engineer
Materials Handling and Storage
The contractor & specialist MEP subcontractor are advised to ensure to take the utmost care while loading, transporting, offloading, and all installation activities.
The pump shall be kept on a flat secluded surface with a well-ventilated storage area.
The unit selection, locations, and levels shall be in full compliance with the approved materials, IFC drawings, approved shop drawings, BOQ, and project specifications including but not limited to all supporting systems, anchoring, and spacing requirement.
Shift the pumps and their accessories to the working area in a safe manner as per site conditions by the use of either a hand trolley, forklift, or crane.
Methodology-Installation of Sump Pump
Pre-Installation/General Requirement to Consider
Meeting shall be scheduled prior to the beginning of the work and before any sub-contractor starts on the project.
- Prior to the commencement of any construction works, the area and access will be inspected to confirm that they are in a suitable condition for construction work to commence. Prepare a working permit (if any) and submit it to any designated safety officer.
- All relevant documentation (approved shop drawing, coordination drawing, approved method statement, approved material submittal, approved ITP, the checklist) and material applicable to a particular section of work will be checked before the commencement of work.
- The sequence of work activity shall be coordinated at the site with other disciplines and secure other trades (Civil/Structure & Architectural) to ensure smooth coordination and to avoid re-work.
- The mechanical site engineer will instruct the supervisor in charge who in return will relay to the tradesmen regarding the execution of the work and will distribute all necessary approved construction shop drawings and coordinated layout plans.
- The site mechanical engineer/supervisor should also check the tools and equipment available which should be compliant with the contract requirement and are in good and safe working condition.
- Ensure that only approved materials are required to carry out the work shall be available.
- Pump selection is based on the certified performance curve and rated capacity of the selected model mentioned as per approved material submittal, project specification & design equipment schedule.
- Electrical component devices and accessories shall be defied in the latest TEC Standard acceptable.
- The drainage water pump must be as per the approved material submittal and project specification.
- When two or more units of equipment of the same type and class shall be the product of one manufacturer.
- Pumps identifications: Manufacturers nameplate, trademark, model, serial number, GPM, TDM, 994, HD Impeller, discharge, and suction shall be fixed at each piece of equipment.
- The in-charge Mechanical Engineer, supervisor, and foreman should verify that the personnel or assigned person must have sufficient knowledge of the procedure for the installation, operating Instruction, and necessary fundamental Information Review training and qualification record for those individuals who will do the task to determine whether they are skilled enough to follow the procedure before the work is carried out.
- Mockup for submersible pumps (mechanical and electrical) installation complete with all hook-up details (including all accessories and supporting arrangement) shall be carried out at the site prior to proceeding.
- The installer will receive a set of installation drawing from the factory with a tag number and hosting shall be executed as per the manufacturer’s recommendation.
- Pump installation shall be carried out in accordance with the approved shop drawing, plan, section, and details and as per the manufacturer’s recommendation, and project specification.
- All safety regulations must be observed at the installation site.
Installation Procedure of Sump Pumps
- The pump assembly will be mounted inside the concrete sump pit with the required supports as per
manufacturer’s recommendation and approved drawings and materials.
- All required accessories shall be fixed as per approved detail drawings.
Valves, sensors, switches, and other accessories
- Support installation for valves and field devices shall be followed as per the approved shop drawing details and project specifications.
- Confirm that the valve schedule shall be as per the approved layout and approved material submittal prior to installation.
- Valve shall be installed with flange and union to allow servicing, maintenance, and equipment removal without shutting down the system and located at an accessible location.
- Guide pipe should be fixed as per approved detail.
- There should be one check valve and one gate valve at the pump discharge line.
- Float switches shall be positioned as per approved details & shop drawings.
Sump Pumps Installation Procedure
- Supply and install all sump pumps wherever shown in the approved shop drawing.• Assure proper hit of all equipment and materials in the space as shown in the drawing.
- Remove plug covering at pump discharge and suction ports once it is ready for fixing into drainage pipelines.
- Align the pump and piping connection on both suction and discharge ports confirm once more the pump level and alignment once it is bolted.
- Securely anchor the pump assembly with bolts to the concrete flooring or metal structure.
- Make sure the weight of the pump assembly does not put a strain on the piping network, and the pump inlet and outlet connections are installed stress-free against a heavy load.
- Make sure there are no foreign materials inside the pump, and that the impeller turns smoothly in the correct direction.
- Install pump’s discharge and suction pipelines with valves and accessories.
- The piping flange must be accurately aligned before the bolts are tightened, and all the piping valves and associates. Fittings should be independently supported without any strain being imposed on the pump as it will reduce the reliability and performance of the pump, and can result in high maintenance costs. Ensure flange type, bolts, and nuts are matching that can meet the required pump’s working pressure.
- Assemble the suction and discharge pipes in accordance with the generally accepted procedure and without exposing the pipes to distortion of tension.
- Support for the pipeline shall be properly fixed and clamped, valves shall be supported as per the approved shop drawing, plan, and details. It is always necessary to install support for the pipe on the discharge and suction side of the unit. So that the weight of the piping does not come to bear on the pump.
- The Site Engineer/ Foreman ensures the surrounding area where the pump will be installed are free from debris and the pump shall be protected until the final acceptance of the client.
- Check the direction of impeller rotation; the arrow on the pump casing shows the direction of the rotation.
- Field damage factory finish on equipment shall be touched up with paint that is equal in quality and color to the original factory finish.
Installation of Electrical Wirings
- Provide all electrical equipment with proper wire size including connection of power supply.
- Provide required power control and grounding wires for all pump motors.
- Check the connection to provide correct rotation for all pump motors.
- The electrical connection should be carried out in accordance with local regulations and the manufacturer’s recommendation.
- Make sure to visually inspect the cable condition against any damage: not sharply bent or pinched.
- The supply voltage, ampere, and frequency shall be marked on the pump nameplate.
- Install the electrical isolator panel and power connection as per the approved drawing and method statement.
- Connect the pump’s motor cable to the control panel and monitoring equipment. Check using a multi-function electrical tester that all wiring connections are correctly spliced and electrical buttons are working.
- After completing the pump installation, The Site Engineer / Supervisor shall systematically check and Inspect the work as per approved shop drawings. Any rectification modification shall be immediately done prior to raising an INR.
- After satisfactory inspection by the Site Engineer/ Supervisor on the fixed pump, the INR has to be raised by them with complete attachment & Information regarding the scope of the inspection, including highlighted drawings to show the scope of Inspection. The inspection shall be performed according to the typical checklist and approved Inspection and Test Plans ( ITP ).
- The needed attachment will be forwarded by the Site Engineer/Supervisor to the QA/QC Department who shall check and process the INR documents of completed works for Supervision Consultant installation inspection and approval.
- After ensuring that safety precautions are in place, check that all pump valve packages shall be fully open to avoid damage to the disk and seat ring.
- Correct alignment, and flat and smooth settling of the pump shall be inspected by the Site Engineer/Supervisor.
- The pump’s freewheel and direction of impeller rotation as well as the fluid flow direction shall be observed; and made sure that supplied electrical power is in – line with the equipment nameplate rating.
- Check nameplates and cross-check with the specifications/approved shop drawings/approved materials to ensure the correct pump.
- Check the impeller to ensure free and smooth rotation.
- After Site Engineer satisfactorily completed the inspection, INR shall be submitted to QA/QC Department who shall check and process the documents to have completed work inspected by Supervision Consultant for final approval.
Health and Safety Analysis
Refer to Risk Assessment
Protective and Safety Equipment
All workers involved shall be equipped with adequate PPE as stated below:
• Safety helmet with company logo
• Safety boots
• High visibility vest, safety goggles, hand gloves, coveralls
• Twin-tail harness, Max 1.20 m long (when working at height). All special PPE (harness) is considered
as a last resort when we cannot engineer, administratively eliminate, or guard against hazards.
Information to Personnel
a. Safety Induction
b. Job training
C. Superintendents Notices/Memos
d. Toolbox talks
e. STARRT Card
Special Safety Requirements
a. All necessary personal/protective equipment (PPE), as well as harness, be provided.
b. Banksman, wearing distinctive vests, shall be assigned to help operators maneuver their equipment.
c. The equipment operators shall possess the required licenses and certificates.
d. Generated dust shall be controlled by periodic water spraying.
e. The project safety officer is responsible along with the project zone site engineer for ensuring that all operations are carried out with due regard to the safety of all project personnel & property.
f. All working activities shall comply with client safety procedures.
g. First aid material.
h. General management of protection/operation hazards is to be observed.
i. In case of working at night, please refer to Method Statement for Night
The contractor shall provide first aid kits on site for handling light injuries.
In the event of an emergency, all workers will be asked to evacuate and assemble at the ASSEMBLY POINT and wait for further instruction from supervisors.
Emergency Contact Numbers
In case of a serious accident, dangerous occurrence, fire, or environmental incident the Emergency Contact Numbers shall be contacted.
• Vehicle Permit for Equipment
• Working Permit
• Night Work
Quality Assurance and Quality Control
Quality Assurance Requirements
The contractor shall provide the required documents for Consultant approval prior to initiating the execution of this activity as per the Project Specification requirements.
• The quality control requirement shall include related QCP’s, ITP’s and other related documents as applicable. Refer to Inspection Test Plan.
• Applicable codes and standards for materials.
Quality Assurance Process
The contractor shall notify the Engineer prior to the start of activity and comments from the site instruction will be complied with as per the contract.
Follow-up and Evaluation
- Follow-up on quality performance shall be carried out through an in-house monitoring system such as progress reporting to the planning department, and daily, weekly and monthly reports generated by the planning department to closely monitor site performance in general and reflect on quality performance in specific.
- All the above shall be in close coordination with the quality department to monitor any deviations from the normal quality requirement and induce corrective actions whenever required to eliminate non-conformance or quality deviations.
- All remedial actions to be taken, if any, shall take into account the official schedule which is used as guidelines for performance and most importantly under the close supervision of the quality control department.
- Checklist (CL)
- Inspection Request (INR)
- Inspection and Test Record (ITR)
Appendices-Method Statement for Sump Pump Installation
Emergency Contact Numbers
Inspection and Test Plan (ITP)
Manufactures Manual for Installation of Submersible Pump
Approved Material Submittal
Approved Method Statement for Cable Laying
Approved Method Statement for Isolator Installation
Testing and Commissioning of Submersible Pump Sets
What is a sump pump?
A sump pump is a pump used to remove water that has accumulated in a water-collecting sump basin, commonly found in the basements of buildings.
Moreover, sump pumping is one of the simplest dewatering techniques whereas groundwater penetrates into the excavation and can accumulate in the sump pit-this may be the lowest point of excavation, or it can be a specially created area in which water can naturally seep.
What is a submersible pump?
A submersible pump (or sub-pump, electric submersible pump (ESP)) is a device that has a hermetically sealed motor close-coupled to the pump body.
The whole assembly is submerged in the fluid to be pumped. A submersible pump has a protective cover surrounding it and a separate float, which is responsible for turning on or off the pump. It is fully mounted to the sump and is specially sealed to prevent electrical short circuits.
A good installation of the sump pump should include a backup system for breakdowns and power outages.
Permanent installation should ensure the year-round discharge capacity to the outside of the building, which is connected to a storm sewer or passes through the sidewalk to the street.
It is advised to test the sump pump operation once a season, and every time after it gets used in a storm or plumbing mishap.